Lifestyle & Visa

Getting MARRIED in Hongkong as a FOREIGNER (sample letters, emails, and other useful information)

As I’ve written in my first article post about getting married in Hongkong, I’d like to share with you the emails and answers we sent and got back from the Marriage Registration Office in Hongkong.

But first I hope you have already read the other steps before coming here. This would give you ideas about why you have to do such a thing.

Anyway, here’s a sample of what we’ve written on our email to the Marriage Registration Office in Hongkong.


Dear Sir/ Madame,

I am Christoph Kaiser, German National, and my fiancé, Catherine S Mendoza, Filipino National are planning to have our wedding hold in Hong Kong on these possible dates. April ( our date) or May ( our date), and morning schedule if possible. May we humbly request for the necessary form and information sheet to avoid any missed important documents for this special day. 

Thank you very much for your kind response and understanding.

Sincerely yours,

Christoph Kaiser

Where to send it: 

Simple? Yes. The simpler the better. It’s important to state what you want, be brief and concise.

For the email inquiry, either one of you could send it. In our case, my husband Chris was the one who undertook it. It doesn’t really matter who does. However, please know that whoever does send the email will also be the one to accomplish most of the necessary steps like getting the documents notarized ( in his/her country) sending a bank draft, among others.


Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail message.

Under the Laws of Hong Kong, you will have to go through the following procedures for solemnizing a marriage in Hong Kong:

” The completed notice form with your signature should be authenticated by a Notary Public of the country where you live. Please note that if you are living in different territories/countries, the form is only required to be authenticated by a Notary Public of the country where one of you lives (i.e. the one who gives the notice).The authenticated notice, the completed information sheet together with the supporting documents and the bank draft being the payment of HK$305 payable to “The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region” should be sent by registered airmail or submit through your contact person in Hong Kong or a civil celebrant of marriages to the Marriage Registration and Records Office. If your bank draft is not drawable in Hong Kong currency, you should pay for an additional bank handling commission of HK$100 for exchanging of currency. Please do not send in cash.

If you intend to celebrate your marriage at the marriage registry, you may indicate your preference about the date of marriage and registry on the information sheet. A reply will be sent to you to confirm the appointment for marriage ceremony after receipt of the authenticated notice, the prescribed fee, and supporting documents. Please note that the marriage registry has quota limit of marriage appointment. To facilitate the alternative arrangement, you may provide several preferences of marriage appointment and your email address for easy communication.

If your marriage is to take place in a licensed place of worship or to be celebrated by a civil celebrant of marriages, you should consult the officiating minister or civil celebrant of marriages for the exact date, time and place of wedding. Please also ensure that a Certificate of Registrar of Marriages has been issued before the ceremony takes place.

Both of you should, after your arrival at Hong Kong, attend the Marriage Registration and Records Office within office hours or meet your civil celebrant, bringing along your travel documents and originals of the documents which you have submitted earlier. The party giving the notice should make an affidavit before the Registrar or the civil celebrant that there is no impediment of kindred or affinity or any other lawful hindrance to the marriage. Ample time should be allowed for the civil celebrant to transmit the affidavit to the Registrar for the issue of the Certificate of Registrar of Marriages. Please note that no marriage shall be celebrated in a licensed place of worship or by a civil celebrant in the absence of a Certificate of Registrar of Marriages.” Source – Marriage Registration

Note: The reply from the email that we received and the one posted here almost exactly the same. Actually, I just copied and pasted from their website. Please check the source for your further reference.


It’s very delighting to receive such a positive response. And here’s how it is.

Dear Mr. Kaiser/ Ms. Mendoza

  • The confirmation and approval of your preferred wedding date
    ( whatever you put there must be final. Changing it would be very difficult)
  • The final venue
  • The appointment time
  • The address
  • And documents to bring

And all the needed information for your future vow with your partner.


Disclaimer: For the reply from email and wedding confirmation parts, I opt not to copy and paste the entire email together with other attachments as it’s strictly prohibited to disclose with non-recipients. I hope you understand. Nevertheless, the response should just look exactly like this.

And I think that’s all that you need to know. All other information has been written in my first article post about getting married in Hongkong.

Thank you again for reading! I hope I have been helping! If you have any questions, please feel free to leave it in the comment box below! I’d be delighted to answer as much as I can!

You Might Also Like...

Here, too!

Ready for your next trip? Book here!